House Project: Design and Rationale

In my group is Keira and Laura. We are suppose to create a house for science. We decided to put four shoe boxes. We decided to make the lay out look like a windmill because it is really creative and I don’t think any other groups had done that. We put a kitchen, bathroom, living room and a bedroom. We tried to make different room have have different lightings. This project teaches us how to make circuits. We learned  how to make a series circuit and a parallel circuit.


Day 1
This parallel circuit didn’t work.
We made a design on what our house is going to look like and made notes on how many shoe boxes we need lights and batteries. Those are the two different circuits that we drew on the first day. The parallel circuit didn’t light up so then we recreated it to make it light up. It looks like this. The series circuit we took out the resistor so then we changed it up a bit.

This bottom one is the series circuit that we changed up.

Day 2

We brought some shoe boxes and we started to tape them together with masking tape. We labeled which room is each part of the shoe box.  We cut some wires connected with the lights so we could have a visual scan to know how to make our  diagram possible to do. We looked for some light bulbs that did not burn out .

Day 3
The bathroom the in lower right box.

The bedroom is right beside the bathroom.

The living room is the top left.

The the kitchen is the box on the top right.
I brought the box that we needed to finish and we taped it onto our bunker. We started to connect the wires and make sure the bulbs work. We tried to figure out how many 9V batteries we need. We tried to make a resistor to see if our circuit worked.

Day 4

We got our circuits to work but we need 3 more batteries to connect it into the circuit so then  we can put the circuits into the bunker. Im brining the 3 batteries so we could finish it up for tomorrow.

Day 5

We finally finished our bunker. We connected the wires together and plugged in all the batteries. We glued and used masking tape to made all the wires. We planed on how we were going to stick the wires and the batteries to the bunker. We decided to stick it on top.


This is the final project.

In this photo you can see that our parallel circuit is in the front and our series circuit is at the back.

This is the living room. We made a series circuit for the living room. The lights are red and blue.  The living room uses two lightbulbs and two 9V batteries.This is the living room in a different point of view.

This is the kitchen. Our parallel circuit goes through the kitchen and the bedroom. In this room the lights are red and green. The popsicle sticks on the top are made to make sure the battery doesn’t fall and also makes it easier to tape the wires of the lightbulbs onto the wall.

This is the bedroom. The bathroom have two different white lightbulbs. The popsicle sticks on the top is to help keep the wires and the lightbulbs stable and make sure they don’t all fall apart.

Our project we used a total of seven lights: the lights were white, yellow, red, blue and green. four 9V batteries.  We had one big shoe box so we cut it in half so we could make like a windmill shape bunker. At first we needed 4 boxes but we make it with 3 since we cut the big box in half.  The other materials we used are popsicle sticks, masking tape and wires.

One thought on “House Project: Design and Rationale”

  1. Your blog is properly categorized and tagged. For content the project was marked in 3 parts.

    1: Justification and Design: You did a good job with your phet diagrams embedded in your blog and talked about why they didn’t work even in phet. I would have liked to have seen a justification of why you put the circuits in certain rooms and not just the basic designs. Why would a parallel be good in the kitchen vs a series etc.

    2: Daily progress blog: While you have a daily record of what you did, some days don’t have pictures to go along with your ideas. You really need to expand on your struggles and solutions to each days problems and not just the progress being made.

    3: Final tour and reflection. You are missing your final reflection on core competencies. The tour shows each circuit clearly and I like how you placed the battery to it wasn’t too much in the way.

Leave a Reply to mlast Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *