Career Advisory – September 18 – Grade 10
- Students will become familiar with classmates and advisory teacher
- Students will be able to identify and demonstrate key employability skills required by an employer.
Activity #1 (10 – 15 min)
The Name Web
You need to have a spool of string or wool for this game.
- Ask students to stand in a circle.
- Hold on to the end of the string and throw the ball/spool to one of the young people to catch.
- They then introduce themselves and tell everyone their hobby or what they like to do outside of school (Adapt for your group).
- Holding the string they then throw it to another member of the group. The student receiving the spool of thread must repeat the name and hobby of the people who have gone before them. Eventually this creates a web as well as learning some interesting things about each other!
- At the end of the game you could comment that we all played a part in creating this unique web and if one person was gone it would look different. In the same way it’s important that we all take part to make the group what it is, unique and special.
Activity #2 (20 – 25)
Human Knot – (Skills Identification and Career Exploration)
Please see Attached instructions for this lesson.
Student Reflection Sheet
Please hand out Reflection sheet for students to complete. They should be prepared to discuss the activity, their reflection, and hand in their work in the next advisory Wednesday, October 16th.
CLE – CAREER ADVISORY
LESSON #1 – Name Web and Human Knot
NAME: _____Jack Huang Zeyu___________ DATE: _____oct.16th___________ Advisory: ____59_____
- Teamwork & Working in Diverse Environments
- Interpersonal Communication
- Work Ethic: Integrity, Responsibility, & Accountability
- Problem Solving & Critical Thinking
- Time Management
- Enthusiasm & Attitude
- Ability to Accept and Integrate Criticism and Feedback
- Flexibility & Adaptability
Reflect on both activities you participated in today’s advisory and complete the following questions.
|1. Review the Employability Skills listed, describe the skills you currently have and how you used them in the activities.
a. l enjoy teamworking. When I was volunteering to invite citizens to a Canadian day, I work with others well. I was responsible for recording people that will come and others was responsible for telephoning citizens to ask whether they come or not.
f. I am good at time management. One day I had lots of homework, including social assignments, science assignments and English 9 assignments. Then I decided to do my English 9 assignments first because the homework is an essay which is really a big homework. Then I did science homework and at last my socials homework.
i. I am good at adapting new concepts. Last year I started learning python. At first I was really confused about how to programme. The, after learning it for 2 weeks, I found that it was easy to learn. A month after, I was very familiar with it and that I could programme some little games.
|2. Discuss the skills that you would like to work on and what you can do to improve or practice them so that you are employable in the future.
b. I would like to improve professionalism. In my science class, when I was analyzing a paper, I will use more quantitative descriptions instead of qualitative ones. I will also use more formulas to verify my point of view.
c. I would like to improve my communication. I will communicate with more people in the future in order to make myself more optimistic and communicative. I will also communicate more with Canadians so that my English skills will get improved.
e. I would like to improve my critical thinking. When I get a concept in class, I will think more about how to get it instead of memorizing it at once. When I think critically, I will have a deeper understanding of the concepts.