We had too many wires and switches in our circuit, so we only stuck the lights into the house.
This project improved my skills for working with other people. Both the communication and critical thinking parts of the core competencies were important for this assignment.
Communication was mostly for the setup for this project. Dividing up the work evenly, actually doing my part, taking on a role as the recorder, and setting up times outside of school to work on the project.
Critical thinking was extremely important for the building of the circuits, as there were quite a few problems that occurred. First, most of the lightbulbs didn’t work, so my partner and I had to think of a way to get all the working ones. Second, our circuits had too many wires, so it didn’t fit into the cardboard box. Sometimes the circuit just wouldn’t function properly, so we would analyze the materials and look for where the problem is.
Ways to further develop these core competencies would be to just use them more often. I think doing more single-person projects that require you to present would help with most of the core competencies.
Today my partner and I worked on and finished our first part of the Edublog Assignment. We planned out which circuit to start on and began searching for supplies.
Today we realized that most of the light bulbs don’t work, but after about 30 minutes we found out that all the christmas lights that had coloured bulbs worked. We continued cutting wires and snipping out the correct light bulbs for the rest of the block.
When we thought we had enough supplies, we began to create our circuits. I made the cardboard house while my partner continued to work on the circuits. Most of the batteries that we used were out of power though, so we had to borrow a battery from another group.
Today I began writing out the daily progress Edublog Assignment. I would occasionally go and grab some tools for my partner (wires, duct tape, etc.). In the end, we finished 2 rooms, but one room wouldn’t light up correctly.
This is my circuit project.
Room 3 out of 4.
I chose to make this type of circuit because it is slightly more energy efficient than a full parallel circuit, while the lights are still very bright. The extra light on the left can only be turned on if one set of lights on the left are turned on as well, but they will be very dim. The light on the left will be double the brightness of the lights on the parallel side.
Room 4 out of 4.
This room is similar to the room above, but each light in this circuit can be turned on individually. This makes it really easy to find out which section of the circuit may have disconnected.