Day 1: only ideas were generated on this day. My partner and I were thinking of what kind of energy-saving device we should make. For the entire class, we thought of many ideas, but all of them were only for convenience and most of them were very bizarre. For example buzzer on cars to kick you off and force you to either walk, ride a bus or a bike. At last we thought of a dynamic light sensor where when the switch is flipped the light auto adjusts itself to the right brightness according to the dimness of the room. We were hoping to get started on the programming the next day.
Day 2: this day we tried out our idea. We started to program our micro-bits, tried out many functions on the micro-bits programming website, and made the first attempt. However, when we connect the micro-bits, it didn’t work as expected. The LED was flashing and turned off when it supposed to be on. Apparently, we messed up the program and turned The Who process up side down. The LED was supposed to be on when the room was dark but instead, it stayed on when the room was bright. Only that process took us the entire class and our first work out was a disaster, but we were wanting to finish, or at least get 80% of the project done the next work block.
Day 3: Our third day was a shortened block because of the power-out in the morning. We hurried and tried to make out the best plan. At the end of the block we programmed the micro-bits so it can turn on and off based on the brightness, but it’s not dynamic, and we couldn’t fix that. We didn’t get the best of what we needed but we tried our best. All we had left were the diagrams, explanation of process, and reflection for the presentations.
Day 4: we had half of the class to do some final touch up and write down the programming process, reflection, some diagrams to explain the device that we made. And our mini presentations, in which we had to explain what does the device do to help save energy and the process of making the device, were all finished.