The reason we only showed our wiring to the house and not the actual house was because we had a lot of problems that had to do with our lights, batteries, and wires. The wiring was really fragile so if we moved it a lot the wires would come apart. Also, the wires that Mr. Raabe let us borrow were very long and there was too many to fit inside the box without it looking like a complete mess.
Some bulbs have different power ratings, the higher the power rating the brighter the bulb. In a parallel circuit with multiple lights, the way you can make one of them duller than the others is by adding a resistor in order to drop the voltage across the light bulb.
Core competency self-assessment:
This project helped me communicate better because, it was a group project so we have to work together, and you can’t work together without communicating. I think I improved at sharing what I thought about something or sharing my ideas. I think I could further develop my communication competency by asking questions and speaking up in class more frequently.
I think I have definitely strengthened my thinking competency because this project required a lot patience because the circuits kept breaking and bulbs stopped working along with the batteries running out of power. So we had to learn from our mistakes and think about how to improve our circuits. What also helped me improve my thinking competency was the fact that we had to think about and create a house design. Also, this project gave me a better understanding of how the technology around me works. I think I could further improve my thinking competency by thinking and planning things out more before actually starting them to ensure that I have enough time to finish them
I’ve never had much of a problem socializing I think I’ve always been quite social but none the less I think this helped me improve my social competency because we had to talk together and we also had to ask some questions when we were confused or needed help which I think helped me.
Day 1: We hadn’t started until the end of class because we were trying to figure out how to upload our pictures of phet onto my blog but we were having a lot of difficulties.
Day 2: I was sick that day so it was Lydia doing it and she said that she started by making our good copy of the house diagram drawing and drawing where the rooms are onto our box. She also said it took a long time trying to find batteries that worked along with lights that were working as well.
Day: 3 We were thinking it was going to have to be very rushed because I missed a day and we had had a couple technical problems so we really only had one day to build the circuits. We were thinking that we would glue the circuits right on to the box. So the first thing we did was poke the holes for the lights to stick through. We had tested all our lights and they were all working. We were making the circuits on the box and we were really struggling because the wires kept moving and so the light would stop working. Lydia was working on our bedrooms parallel circuit while I was working on the bathroom series circuit. I had finished the series circuit so I was trying to help Lydia with the parallel because it’s a lot harder. When we finally finished our first parallel circuit, we tested it out and for some reason, both the lights weren’t working even though they were working before. We got a machine that detects voltage and it showed all the wires had voltage except for the lights so we had to restart the circuit. We started to make the other parallel circuit for the kitchen and we accidentally made a short circuit and we burned out the battery.Mr. Raabe let us use some new lights, a battery, and some wire so we could redo our first parallel circuit. We finally finished the first parallel circuit.
Day 4: After we finished the first parallel circuit we moved on to the next one and pretty soon we finished it.
(see Lydia’s post for the second picture of phet circuit) We chose the parallel circuit for the bedroom because we were thinking it’d be better to do that because if you, for example, want your lamp on but not your actual bedroom light a parallel circuit would be really useful. Also, we thought it’d be useful because you spend a big majority of the time in your bedroom so if one of your bedroom lights burns out or breaks you still have the other one. We chose a series circuit for the bathrooms because usually, you aren’t in there for a very long time, so it isn’t as crucial to have bright lights. As well as that we thought it’d be better to have a series circuit in the bathroom because there’s only one light so if it breaks you know that it’s that bulb whereas if there were multiple you would have to check all of them until you found the broken bulb.
We chose to have a parallel circuit in the kitchen because usually, kitchens need multiple lights for good lighting and it’s better to use a parallel circuit because if one breaks the others will be fine. For the bathroom near the kitchen (picture of bathrooms circuit couldn’t upload), we chose to do a series circuit because the bathrooms small we didn’t think it would need as much light so we used a series circuit with 2 bulbs instead of a parallel circuit with 2 bulbs.