No Water Wasted Detector:
Here is a hyperlink to the document with my final code: Microbits Science Project
I’m afraid that I did not have a chance to take pictures of my actual device during class time. But it looks like a microbit with the moisture detector attached. The Buzzer turned on as soon as I placed the moisture detector inside water.
My device was very hard to create at first but after research and using the information I learned in class I was able. This prosses really showed and helped me reflect that I am able to demonstrate my learning, growth, and strengths. When I was explaining my project to my classmates this really helped me build on my communication competency. This project also made me think a lot and be creative. It helped me improve on my thinking core competencies because it made me think outside of the box.
For the first step of creating a device that can detect the moisture level in a substance like dirt, I decided to do some extra research about how to code this onto my microbit. There was lots of great information online but I wanted to add my own unique spin to the device, I decided to add a vibration motor to the microbit device so it would alert me when there was enough water in the dirt. I also used the information that we learned in class to code these things with only the knowledge and research I knew. I used analog and digital read pins to create this device as well. I did some sketching and then went to create the microbit.
Make: Microbits Science Project
After I research how to code all the information. I designed my device I tested the first attempt without the buzzer and it worked great. That code is in the document linked at the top next to the make section. then it took me a while but I used all the stuff we learned in class and added the buzzer so it would buzz when it detects moisture. after a few tests, the device worked great. Although I wanted to make the system more complex.
After more creative thinking and research I thought that we could make it so it has a longer cord. In this case, it would be way more portable and usable in all situation and all plants. To make this device more portable it would be cool to have a case to re stabilitate the device. This device could also work for the grass so you don’t over water it.
For my idea for the saving energy with micro:bits project is that we have decided to experiment with the moisture detector attachment to the mocro:bit. We will create a device using the knowledge we have learned about micro:bits in class and I will brainstorm exactly how to create a device that can detect the moisture in a plant. This device will help us save energy because it reduces the amount of water you give to the plant so you don’t waste water by over watering your plants. Lots of energy is used to bring the water to you so its best that we preserve as much as possible.